BRIXHAM POTTERY

The Brixham Pottery 1959 – 1982

The Old Pound House, Milton Street, Brixham.

About 1959 the Milton Head Pottery was sold to George Jackram who owned the nearby Oakleigh Animal Products. He had planned to close the pottery to use the premises for his animal products business. He relented and renamed it as The Brixham Pottery and carried on producing pottery on the same site. Much of the pottery continued to be hand thrown and decorated with entwined black and brown circles.

In 1967 Ray Barrett bought the Brixham Pottery after selling the Babbacombe Pottery to the Toni and Raymond Smith. The premises in Milton Street Brixham continued to be managed by Patrick Stroud making studio style pottery. Later he opened another premises at The Violet Farm, Dawlish where they made moulded pottery with transfer printed designs. So one may find pottery marked with the confusing back stamp of Brixham Pottery Ltd. Dawlish. In 1982 the Brixham Pottery closed when taken over by the Wellhouse Pottery.

Original research by Keith Poole helped by Patrick Stroud.